Tuesday, April 11, 2006

A Bellydancing Blog

Bellydancing is great. I miss it. There’s a lot of knee movement involved, so I can’t start up again until I’m fully recovered. Which isn’t yet. So instead of dancing, I’ll blog about dancing!

Bellydancing is probably the most feminine type of dancing I have yet come across. There is a common misconception that it is solely an erotic dance to be performed for men, but it was in fact developed by women and for women – a sacred dance, if you will, which has interesting health benefits. For instance, one of the movements most associated with bellydancing is the Camel, which is a wave-like movement of the stomach. On no account should this movement be done in the first trimester of pregnancy for fear of miscarriage, but if you do it in the last couple of weeks it can engage the baby’s head. When not pregnant, the movement strengthens the stomach muscles and massages the internal organs.

Of course, the erotic aspect is also there and it is essentially a performance dance, although I would say the overall character of the dance is sensual rather than erotic. It CAN be sexual but it doesn’t HAVE to be. Actually if you’re good, the suggestion is there but it’s never blatant. Bellydancers aren’t erotic dancers. There is a big difference.

One of the most powerful effects it has that I have observed is the effect upon the dancers themselves. You don’t have to be skinny to be an incredible dancer. In fact, one of the best bellydancers I have seen so far is at least a dress size 18. IMO the dance helps women to see that they can be sexy and attractive and gorgeous without being stick figures. Part of the way it does this is by getting them to get their bellies out, lol! I can’t think of anyone I know, regardless of size, who still covers their stomach after taking lessons for a year. You do at first, because you’re self-conscious. But as you go on, somehow you don’t need to hide your body any more. You become the dance, and the dance is beautiful.

AND you get to wear fabulous outfits like this:
http://www.geocities.com/bellydanceman/

Boo Hoo. I miss it.

2 Comments:

At 10:59 pm, Blogger nelle said...

rofl, not mah belly...

interesting post, Elle. As with most everything, men found interest and made it about them. I like how you mention it was for women, and would like to hear more.

BTW, abby posted about her bellydancing tapes on Hot Topics, you might want to engage her in discussion?

 
At 9:32 am, Blogger Elle said...

oooh I'll have a look at that, thanks.

And yes, your belly too! you should see the size of some of the ladies in class. And as I say, one of the most inspired dancers I have yet seen is at least a size 18 Uk. Round bellies, flat bellies, scarred bellies, floppy bellies - they're all there and they are all beautiful.

In the Red Tent singing and dancing is mentioned. I think of bellydancing as being rooted in 'Red Tent' dancing. It is a celebration of who we are as women, fully rooted in our female bodies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home