Thursday, April 27, 2006

Here’s an astonishing thing:

I have purchased Brokeback and plan to watch it with my mum and youngest sister in a couple of weeks when SO goes off for training in another town. We’re going to make a night of it with fattening food and booze, and they’ll stay round.

Now, my second sister (next down from me) was round last night, heard me talking about the planned jollity and asked me if she could join in. I hemmed and hawed ‘well, I don’t think you’ll like the film’ etc and finally just told her outright that I didn’t think she would be able to keep herself from making ‘eww that’s gross’ comments wrt the content of the film. A discussion ensued, with her telling me that homosexuality is unnatural and me using every example and explanation I know to show her that it IS natural. I told her about the male emperor penguins who pair up and raise chicks. I told her about the fact that rats in crowded conditions are more likely to exhibit homosexual behaviour than rats in open spaces, indicating that it is a natural restraint on population growth. I explained that you are BORN gay or straight, and that as she could not choose to be gay, gay people could not choose to be straight.

Her answer was, ‘well, I don’t believe it’s inborn. It’s sick and unnatural’. To which I said, ‘well, that’s why you aren’t invited.’

6 Comments:

At 10:50 am, Blogger nelle said...

Does she read your blog?

I would only add on your behalf... it's your space (as in the movie watching and invitation) and as such your space is deserving of respect. To wish to come into your home, into this sort of positive atmosphere you have set up, all to ready to offer up her already known pov... would not be appropriate. There is something I would add to you, but will not here.

 
At 10:53 am, Blogger Elle said...

no, she doesn't. Actually, nobody IRL does, lol! Except occassionally SO. which makes it a nice safe place to say whatever i want, really :o)

 
At 1:14 am, Blogger nelle said...

Ok... mind if I ask, then? As I recall, you have mentioned something about your own sexual preferences being somewhat fluid in the past? Hopefully my memory is not faulty, but accept my apologies if it is...

anyway, if so... does your sister know this? I would guess not, bit am curious.

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger Elle said...

nelle,
Have I really? I don't remember that, lol! It's true though. I had a huge crush on a girlfriend when I was about 18, and I would definitely have Angelina Jolie :oD I've fancied girls very occasionally, but it has to be an outstanding girl to produce that reaction. Generally I'm into guys. I've never done more than kiss a girl, and now that I've found The One I don't suppose I'll ever have the chance to do more. oh well, worse things have happened :oD

My sister knows that I have kissed another girl. I think she thinks it was a stunt for a guy's attention. I haven't found it necessary to disabuse her of that notion ;o)

 
At 10:54 am, Blogger nelle said...

Thanks... I'm not sure where it was mentioned, just that I recall it. Perhaps it was a dream!

When is movie night?

 
At 2:33 pm, Blogger Elle said...

Movie night looks like being next Thurs, which should be fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home