Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Going back to school…hopefully

Oooh this is exciting! My company offers funding for work-related training and I am looking into doing my NVQ 4 in my field (did NVQs 1-3 about 10 years ago). For any non-UK readers, NVQs are nationally recognised vocational qualifications. Here’s the blurb:

“National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs) are work-related, competence-based qualifications. They reflect the skills and knowledge needed to do a job effectively, and show that a candidate is competent in the area of work the NVQ represents.
NVQs are based on national occupational standards. These standards are statements of performance that describe what competent people in a particular occupation are expected to be able to do. They cover all the main aspects of an occupation, including current best practice, the ability to adapt to future requirements and the knowledge and understanding that underpin competent performance.”
http://www.qca.org.uk/14-19/qualifications/index_nvqs.htm

So that’s what I’m looking into. The nearest college offering a part-time course is 50 miles from home, which is a fair old distance for me but the company will hopefully give me a day-release and will pay my travel expenses. There don’t seem to be any self-study options for this subject.

The college in question is sending me course details. I’m to present them to my boss at my appraisal next month, and we’ll see what happens. He’s already agreed in principle so all we need to do is hash out the details.

I’m really excited about this – I’ve wanted to study something for ages, and since my employers are unlikely to fund a degree in philosophy (snort), this will do nicely.

Will keep you updated :o)

On another subject, an acquaintance of mine has a film review website (www.mootfilm.com) and he posted my Superman Returns review that made it’s first appearance on this blog a couple of months ago – and I’ve been asked to do some more, tee hee :oD

1 Comments:

At 9:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you hon! Sounds like your manager's really supportive, and its great if they'll give you time off to study! xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home