Sunday, December 10, 2006

Happy December everyone! I hope you will pardon some sibling pride - my 15yo brother wrote this and I'm just so damn proud I have to post it here! Enjoy:

An IDEAL Christmas day
When I think of winter, I think of a lifeless season that everyone must endure. If it wasn’t for the most joyous of all occasions known as ‘Christmas’, then that is all it would be.
My ideal Christmas happened five years ago. I was so excited, as any 10 year old would be. I knew that all the family that I had that lived away from home, in cities far away from my little town had come to stay in my cosy house, with wonderful neighbours. This house was number 9 but it will always be ‘number 1’ in my heart. Deerleap Way was a fresh, green paradise where everyone was welcomed, where kindness was in every household but especially at Christmas.
4:30 am and not a sound in my house. Nothing was stirring, not even a mouse! I knew somehow that this was very strange. You could always hear my family sleep. They twitch, they turn, they snore, they purr. I couldn’t be the last one up, could I? I left my bed in my blue pyjamas, to investigate this puzzling event. I didn’t like the electrical lights to be on, instead I estimated my every move in the dark, hoping that I would not walk into my already senile cat. I crept downstairs, but there was no point and the staircase was creaky from years of trampling feet.
As I entered the living room I saw the reflection of an open fire with red stockings labelled with all of my family’s names. I suddenly was greeted by the welcoming voice of my two favourite siblings, hanging up the stockings and feeding the fire, with ’White Christmas’ playing softly in the background. They say something to me that I will never forget. The younger one said “You’re up this early? I can see, you’re really excited about today!” and I thought, even though they do so much for me, it took me until today to realise. I have THE most loving family, THE cosiest house, THE nicest neighbourhood, THE greatest blessing on earth. I wish everyday could be like this day!”
It was only ten o’clock, but I had seemingly been waiting for ages. Finally, one by one, the rest of my family woke up and cheerfully went into the living room. I had seen everyone come in and wish their ‘Merry Christmas’es to everyone else. Everyone, except my dad. I asked about him, but the only answer I could get was “It’s a surprise!”
After thinking it through, I worked out the most likely place for him to be, the kitchen. I ran to the kitchen door, ignoring my mother’s rule. Then, I saw my father’s masterpiece of food. On the menu was roast chicken with herbs and seasonings (traditional in France), lovely roast potatoes, assorted vegetables, mint sauce, gravy and seven hungry mouths to feed. It looked like a lot, and from past experience I knew that it was going to be a meal to remember.
However, all of that food was left for the evening. First we had breakfast. Not that the meal wasn’t spectacular, truly it was a gourmet spread, but I had my eye on something else. My stomach is no match for my need to have presents, especially since the Christmas tree was covered in twinkly, glittery bits with an angel doll on the top. It just made it irresistible. I had to get my presents. Now. After nagging my mum continuously, we all sat around the tree and took turns at opening our gifts. In the many hours of gift opening, I couldn’t help but notice very sentimental and touching moments. That is when I realised why people give each other gifts at Christmas. I had always thought that Christmas was just like a second birthday for the whole family, to receive presents at the expense of others. But then I realised that it is to show people that you care about them, it is to show that you HAVE been listening to them say what they want. The happiness and love that comes at Christmas time is just thinking about your loved ones. The gifts under the tree are simply evidence of that. Nothing more, nothing less.
It is dinner time, I can laugh and enjoy the jokes and anecdotes given by my relatives who have ‘popped round’ to see the family. I am at that impressionable age where I think anything that my cool uncles say is worth repeating. However, to this day it still hasn’t landed me in any serious trouble! The luxurious Christmas dinner cooked every year is the final big present from my dad to the whole family. The candles are lit, the mood is at an all time high, with good cheer, and the last gift goes out with a bank, the cork shoots up in the sky and we all celebrate with a glass of fine wine.
That is the miracle of Christmas, when a lesson is learned. When a young child grows up, with understandable concerns. The glimmer in the eye of a young child speaks, true love is something given, not something that is earned.
The End. Merry Christmas.

6 Comments:

At 3:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! wise head on young shoulders! you have every right to be proud of him hon! Nadolig Llawen! xxx

 
At 1:28 am, Blogger nelle said...

That was wonderful, and you've right to be proud!

That said... is the unidentified snorer perchance the blog's author?

;-)

 
At 3:48 pm, Blogger Elle said...

Eleni,

Yes, I am SO goddam proud of that boy! He's just like me in so many ways :oD

Nadolig Llawen = Merry Christmas?

 
At 3:49 pm, Blogger Elle said...

Nelle,

Ahem! I am certainly one of the 'favourite siblings' tee hee, and if you ask DM he would certainly accuse me of earth shaking snores. BUT I think he's imagining it ;o)

 
At 9:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nadolig Llawen (bit late I know!) and Blwyddyn Newydd Dda! xxx

(merry christmas and happy new year)

eleni x

 
At 11:54 am, Blogger Elle said...

Eleni, how do you pronounce those consonant-fests? ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home